It could get frustrating when you can’t get the fire going especially when you have wet matches. Some tricks to waterproofing your match is by simply coating it with nail polish. But what if you also need a fire starter? This simple DIY match proofing trick can get your matches waterproofed and at the same time serve as fire starters.
What you need:
1. Wax (candles or crayons)
2. A double broiler (one you wouldn’t need to worry about getting ruined) OR just a vegetable can and a saucepan.3. Matches that you will be waterproofing
4. Yarn in case you want to turn your matches into fire starters too
What to do:
1. Melt the wax in your double broiler. If your using a saucepan, fill it with 1/2 of water and bring it to boil then put the vegetable can in the water. Fill this can with wax, turn down the heat and let it melt.
2. Prepare your matches. If you’re only looking to waterproof the matches, simply dip the striking end of the match in the melted wax. Place on wax paper and allow to dry.
But if you you also want to turn the match into a fire starter, here’s what you need to do:
3. Wrap the match with yarn and leave a tail of yarn at the end of the wrap.
4. Take the tail that was left from your wrapping and use it as handle to dip your match into the wax. Place the freshly dipped match on wax paper to dry.
After your matches have dried, place in an old film canister of plastic bag.
Now you have waterproofed matches that can also be fire starters. Try it out next time you go camping. Know anymore camping tricks? Share it with us. Happy camping!
Continue reading a: campingearth.com
Image source: Flickr