What keeps your mouth busy during camping aside from the fun stories you share? Food, of course! There are just some things that you should not go without when camping, and food is one of them. There are a lot of camping food and recipes out there. Usually, camping meals are planned out ahead as to keep things organized and keep everyone's tummy full. Aside from the packed meals prepared, there are the 5 camping food must haves for any camping trip.
1. FRUITS Fruit is always a great idea to pack for camping because many fruits (bananas, apples, pears, oranges, etc.) are fine when left at room temperature. They’re good sources of energy and potassium and have many more health benefits.
2. BREAD Bread is shelf-stable and can be used in so many ways: for morning toast, as make-shift hot dog and hamburger buns and as the base for sandwiches galore. Plus, if you want to feed the birds (preferably far away from the campsite), bread is prime for throwing.
3. PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY You don’t have to eat these together, but you should pack them together. It’s easy and fast to make a PBJ for a quick bite when camping. They can be used separately too - jelly for toast in the morning, or peanut butter (with banana and bread) for breakfast or a snack.
4. DRINKS Water, of course should never be forgotten, coffee packets for those who needs their morning drink, juice packets for when you’re with the kids.
5. DESSERT – marshmallow, graham crackers, chocolates What’s a campfire without s’mores? Or you could just eat the roasted marshmallows right off the stick. The chocolates are also perfect with your bananas and make a chocolate banana split!
Food is one of the important elements of camping that will surely make your adventure worth remembering. What other camping food must-haves would you add to this list? Share your thoughts in the comment section. Happy camping!
More of these ideas on Tablespoon
Image Source: Andrew Butitta