Most adults have learned. You have learned. But, here's the question, does your kid have even the slightest clue? They probably don't! In this article your will learn how to legally teach a kid the basics of driving and even let them try it out!
1. Let your child sit in the front passenger seat and explain to them some of the basic rules of the road. Make sure they know what the signs mean, what the speed limits are/mean and anything else necessary! Remember to tell them not to speed, to use signals etc.
2. Test their knowledge. See if they know all the signs. Test them on all the rules of the road.
3. Describe what you are doing while you're driving and why you're doing it. Give a running commentary about where you are looking, when you are pushing on the gas or break. how far you are turning the steering wheel. Tell them what gauges you look at when you first get into the driver's seat and while you drive.
4. Find a very big empty parking lot.
5. Let them lean over from the passenger seat and steer so that they can get a feel for the steering wheel. Slow down and let them try to keep the car driving straight.
6. Go drive! Go to your chosen quiet driving place and let your kid sit in the driver's seat. You will probably have to move the seat closer to the wheel so your child can reach the pedals. Be sure to put on your seatbelt and make sure your child's is on, so that if you have to do a sudden stop or they stop too quickly you don't do a face plant onto the windshield. Tell your child to very lightly put their foot on the gas pedal. Make sure your child's left leg is bent so that they don't panic and hit the gas and brake.
7. Do this every day. They will get better and better. Soon they will be a great driver and ready for getting a driver's license!